A new montane Hanguana species is described here, it is the first species to be described from the highlands in the genus whereas all the previous species were described from the lowlands, particularly in the swampy areas. Full descriptions with photographs as well as notes on distribution, ecology and habitat, conservation status, and key to the genus in Borneo are provided in this paper.
- Hroneš, M., Leong-Škorničková, J., Niissalo, M.A. & Dančák, M. (2021) Hanguana deflexa (Hanguanaceae), a new forest species from Sarawak, Borneo. PhytoKeys 181: 9–19. https://doi.org/10.3897/phytokeys.181.69045
- IUCN Standards and Petitions Committee (2022) Guidelines for Using the IUCN Red List Categories and Criteria. Version 15. Prepared by the Standards and Petitions Committee. Available from: https://www.iucnredlist.org/documents/RedListGuidelines.pdf (accessed 11 January 2023).
- Leong-Škorničková, J. & Boyce, P.C. (2015) Hanguana in Singapore demystiﬁed: an overview with descriptions of three new species and a new record. Gardens’ Bulletin Singapore 67: 1–28. https://doi.org/10.3850/S2382581215000010
- Leong-Škorničková, J. & Niissalo, M.A. (2017) Identity and typiﬁcation of Hanguana malayana and H. anthelminthica and notes on other early names in Hanguanaceae. Plant Systematics and Evolution 303 (9): 1213–1223. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00606-017-1432-9
- Mohd Fahmi, A.B., Ahmad Sofiman, O. & Boyce, P.C. (2012) Studies on Hanguana (Commelinales: Hanguanaceae) for Sunda IV: Hanguana major clarified, a new species from Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo, and description of male reproductive organs in H. bakoensis. Kew Bulletin 67 (2): 205–211. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12225-012-9358-4
- Randi, A., Wijedasa, L.S., Boyce, P.C. & Leong-Škorničková, J. (2021) Two new species of Hanguana (Hanguanaceae) from Kalimantan, Indonesia. Blumea 66 (1): 101–105. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12225-012-9358-4
- Siti Nurfazilah bte Abdul Rahman, Sofiman Othman, A. & Boyce, P.C. (2011) Studies on Hanguana (Commelinales-Hanguanaceae) for Sunda I: Hanguana bakoensis, a new forest species from Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo, and notes on critical morphologies for elucidating Hanguana taxonomy. Acta Phytotaxonomica et Geobotanica 60 (3): 139–143.